Steam is a video game platform. This platform is basically designed to provide automatic updates for their games. Sometimes, there is a possibility of error. When you update you’re a steam game then you get an error message saying steam content file locked.
Whenever steam content file locked occurs that means steam cannot write update files to your hard disk, and you cannot play the latest version of the game. Here are many solutions to fix this error.
One of the most effective ways is to uninstall steam and all the local game content and reinstall it from scratch. It is a little bit time-consuming process and a use large amount of data.
Repair corrupt system files
First of all, download and run Reimage Plus to scan for corrupt files from here, if you find that the files are corrupt and missing repair then check if it fixes the error. If you still trouble with this error then go with the solution which is states below.
Solutions to fix steam content file locked
Check Antivirus Software
Most of the time, installed Antivirus software creates the error like steam content file locked. Because these antiviruses can mark steam files as potential virus and quarantine. To fix this issue, you have to need to disable the antiviruses until the steam game is updated.
The disable method of antivirus may vary with a different program, but mostly all antivirus protection can be temporarily disabled by following the below-given steps:
- At first, situate the antivirus protection program icon on the Windows notification area.
- When the Antivirus icon is located then right-click on the icon and tap on disable/ shut down/ stops or anything similar. In some situations, you have to open the program and disable it using the program’s menu.
Once you disable the installed antivirus, and then please check the integrity of game files by the following below-given steps:
- Restart your system and reopen Steam.
- Navigate to the library section and right-click on the game that gives you problems and click on the properties
- When the properties window opens then tap on the local files
- After that, tap on the verify integrity of game files option and steam will sooth that game in a few minutes.
- Once, verify the integrity of game files then try to update steam games.
- Now, you can see the steam content file locked issue resolved.
Read more: steam error code 105
Locate steam installation and Game files
Sometimes, by relocating Steam installation and Games files can fix this issue. So follow the below-given steps:
- Go to Steam client and tap on settings.
- Now, choose downloads and tap on Steam library folders.
- Tap on add library folder and choose a new path where you want to locate Steam.
- This process will define a future path for all the installation to take place. Now, move by moving existing Steam files to the path that you have selected.
- Now, exit the steam client.
- Go to your current Steam directory which is C: \Program Files \Steam.
- Now, delete all the files and folders except SteamApps and Userdata folders and don’t delete exe
- Now, cut all the folders and paste them to the new directory that you decide above.
- After that, open Steam and re-login.
If you face any problems while moving the Steam folder or after opening it then follows the below-given steps:
- Shut down your Steam.
- Now, browse the location where you relocated Steam.
- From that directory relocate the SteamApps folder at your desktop.
- Now, uninstall Steam.
- After that, install Steam again to the initial location which you have selected.
- Move the SteamApps folder in the new Steam directory it will copy all of your saved games and settings, game content.
- Open Steam and enter your login details.
- Now, verify the integrity of Steam game files and you will able to play games now.
Read more: Steam Error code 118
Check disk scan
Sometimes it happens that, the hard drive that contains the game installation, has been corrupted or stores bad sectors. If the hard drive has bad sectors then it slows down certain areas of the hard drive and cannot be accessed. So, you should try to run a disk check scan to scan the drive for bad sectors.
Follow the below-given steps:
- Press Windows key + R
- Enter cmd in the dialogue box and hit the enter
- To initiate it type chkdsk c: /f and hit enter
- To confirm the scheduling of a disk scan press Y.
- Now, wait for a while for the disk check scan to complete.
- Now, you can check to see the Steam content file locked issue is resolved.